Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Their Names and Faces



Today I found a news story that listed the names and showed the pictures of the 17 killed in the Parkland school shooting. I have watched the TV news and read some newspaper reports of the tragedy; however, seeing the faces, reading a paragraph about each of these teenagers and teachers, and now typing their names, makes this more than a horrific news story. I know it is such a cliché to say, “These were real people.” But I am gripped that 14 were teenagers, high school kids with lives, friends and families: Alyssa, Nicholas, Martin,  Jaime, Luke, Gina, Cara, Joaquin, Alaina, Meadow, Helena, Alexander, Carmen and Peter. And teachers: Scott, Aaron and Christopher.

As a minister, I have presided over funeral services for teenagers who died too soon. Just speaking as a pastor, few things are as difficult as entering the pain of those families or in searching for the right words in the midst of their shock and grief, not to mention the right and healing words at the funeral. In those circumstances I remember the Apostle Paul’s words to the Romans: “the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.” Romans 8: 26

Some losses are too deep for words. Only sighs can be uttered. I imagine those sighs today from the families of those teenagers and teachers…..and for the pastors and rabbis who are walking beside them. Today I pray for them and hold them in my heart. Those kids deserved better. These families deserve better. I pray that congregations and God’s people will surround them with love and support. Funeral services began over the weekend and will continue this week. Those services are part of the important rituals that bind us, give closure and offer healing and hope. My guess is that those families will find further healing and hope when they believe that their loved ones did not die in vain…that something good can come out of this.  Along with my prayer for these heartbroken families, I pray that God will lead us to find a way to stop this madness….and that I will be listening.